Monday, February 27, 2012

Bruschetta Pasta with Crispy Shrimp

Haven't posted in a while. So, expect a few within the next few days. I have been thoroughly enjoying the new fun. CD. Then, lucky me (and lucky fun.) got to see my two favorites together! fun. and Conan!!! (not sure why he has a mustache, but don't mind too much either)




 It has also led me back to their first CD and the Format CD's just because I love Nate's music so much. It also made me crave the classic Beatles Pandora station while I reorganized my kitchen yesterday. BTW, when Pandora throws in newer Paul McCartney music like Wings or his solo stuff, I get very upset. Classic Beatles and John Lennon or bust I say. Now I want to watch Across the Universe...




Speaking of cravings... I had bought a lot of basil earlier in the week for my Basil and Goat Cheese Stuffed Crust Pizza which made me crave a pasta I made in the summer when my Mom had a giant basil plant and extra to spare. Someday when I have a sunny window or a warm climate to live in, I will have a beautiful hhhhhhhhherb garden with extra basil and cilantro. Until then, it's from the store and quickly wilting in my kitchen...sad face... Also, the basil I purchased said "DO NOT REFRIGERATE, keep in a cool (50-55 degree) place." Um... Where would that be? Not my house, not my porch, not my fridge...


This was one of my first go-to recipes when we moved out of our parents house and I really had no idea how or what to shop for besides cereal, Cheetos, and peanut butter and jelly essentials. I have altered the original recipe to make it more of a bruschetta pasta instead of the original. I also hold back on the tomatoes since they end up on the side of my husbands plate (his only flaw). This is my version with added shrimp because hubby really enjoyed a crispy shrimp recipe from www.howsweeteats.com.




Bruschetta Pasta with Crispy Shrimp
adapted from allrecipes.com and www.howsweeteats.com


Pasta
  • 12 ounces pasta
  • 2-4 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cups Italian cheese mix (yes, I used bagged cheese)
  • 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Shrimp
1 pound raw, deveined shrimp (tails removed)
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. In a large bowl combine chopped tomatoes, minced garlic, Italian cheese blend, chopped basil, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix well. Cover and let stand at room temperature to marinate for 1 to 2 hours.

2. In a large pot of boiling salted water over high heat, cook the pasta until al dente.

3. Make sure shrimp is clean and completely dry. Combine salt, pepper, and garlic powder and sprinkle it over the shrimp. Add the flour to a small bowl, and dredge the shrimp through the flour to get a very light coating on it. Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the shrimp and brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side. 

4. Drain cooked pasta and add pasta to the shrimp. Toss with the sitting bruschetta mixture. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.



Why isn't bruschetta in spell check?

No comments:

Post a Comment