Tuesday, May 8, 2012

White Bean Gratin

Hello Friends!

Sorry it has been a while. Every time I start to think about blogging, I come up with seven more places I can apply to. That's right, no job yet. I still have a job until the end of the month and then another month before I am desperate for work. I am not too worried but I would like that security back. I am more concerned that I haven't even heard from the places I have applied to. I had two interviews with one place but they opted for someone with more experience. Other than that, no call backs.

Well, the weather is warming and I am up to running for 28 minutes without stopping. That is huge! Especially since when Hubby and I started running 8 weeks ago, 30 second runs made me cry...like a sad weakling couch potato that I may or may not be. If anyone wants to start running and reeeeeeeeeeeally hates cardio like me, you should try the Couch to 5K (C25K) program. If you are lucky enough to have a smart phone, there are a good number of apps that will tell you when to run and walk in the designated intervals. Happy Hubby and I use the Bluefin Software app called Ease Into 5K which is available for both iOS and Android.

It looks like this:
...seriously, best $4 I have spent. Totally worth it!



My face gets super red when running. Look! I took a picture!

Bahahahaha! It totally looks like me!!


With these warm spring and summer months coming, my favorite season is upon us! BBQ Season!!! This dish would be a great side for a fun gathering of friends and/or family. Definitely a twist on traditional baked beans you would normally find at a BBQ. It is originally from this book...

...which you are more than welcome to buy for me for Christmas or for next Thursday (which celebrates the 17th of May, duh).

Jessica altered it and I went off her adaption but I would like to try it with dry beans that you soak overnight with yummy spices. Either way, it is delicious! I think I will be making this for our family reunion in August!

White Bean Gratin

3 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
3/4 cup freshly grated gruyere cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated fontina cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

2. In a bowl, combine cheeses with panko bread crumbs, then set aside.

3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot with a sprinkle of salt and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in 2 of the minced garlic cloves and cook for 30 seconds, then add in white beans and stir. Let beans heat for 3-4 minutes.

4. Remove 2 cups of beans and place them in a blender. Add in stock, milk, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, blending until totally smooth. Pour contents back into the skillet and stir to combine.

5. Spray a baking dish [mine was 6x10, but any dish you want is fine - round, square, etc] with nonstick spray. Scoop bean mixture into the dish and spread with a spatula to even out the top. Lay cheese and bread crumb mixture over top. Drizzle with remaining olive oil. Bake for 23-25 minutes, until top is golden and bubbly. Serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment