Saturday, March 10, 2012

Cold Sesame Noodles

I am such a lucky lady! Happy Hubs and I had a very good week.

First, Happy Hubs got to spend a long two nights working his abs from constant laughter with one of his best friends, Dane, making this...


The first night, I got to watch classic All That and Kenan & Kel while they did that. Awwwwwwwww, here it goes!!! 




The next night, I got to catch up with an old friend and watch Hook! Very nostalgic week so far.


I can't believe this movie is 21 years old! Maggie Smith looks about 25 years older than she does now! Did you know that there is a scene in this movie where George Lucas and Carrie Fisher are kissing on a bridge? And Jimmy Buffett, Gwyneth Paltrow, Glenn Close, and Phil Collins are also in this movie?! And where has Robin Williams disappeared to?!? I want to watch Flubber...


This week, I also made one of Happy Hubby's favorites. It's one of my favorites too because it only takes about the amount of time to boil pasta. You can usually find Cold Noodle in most Chinese restaurants as an appetizer. I have changed it around based on what is usually in my kitchen but I have included a link to the book I adapted it from which adds stuff like chopped peanuts and Szechuan preserved veggies. We like it better with carrots instead of cucumbers, I don't like warm and soggy cucumbers. Did I mention I serve it hot? It usually doesn't make it to cold, or lukewarm for that matter. But, because it is so good cold, I try to make extra for lunch the next day. The book also has a recipe for Hot Chili Oil to add, but I usually just sprinkle some red pepper on top. And, yes, I do use peanut butter for this recipe. I don't have Asian Sesame Paste in vast quantities like I do peanut butter. I have actually found that many Asian restaurants use peanut butter too. So, HA!

Cold Sesame Noodles

Sesame Sauce
3 Tablespoons Asian sesame paste or peanut butter
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
2 Tablespoons hot water
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon salt

Noodles
8 ounces fresh Chinese-style egg noodles (or linguine or spaghetti)
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onion
1 cup carrot slices (1/4 inch thick)

1. To make the sesame sauce: In a medium bowl large enough to toss the noodles with the sauce, combine the sesame paste, soy sauce, water, vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, and salt. Stir to combine everything into a smooth, thick sauce.

2. Boil noodles until al dente.

3.  When the noodles are tender but still firm, drain well and place them in the bowl over the sauce. Toss well to coat the strands evenly. Add a little more hot water if needed to soften the noodles and spread out the sauce.

4. Add the green onion and carrots and toss one last time to mix everything well. Transfer to a serving dish and serve warm, at room temperature, or cold. Sprinkle on some red pepper flakes for a kick!



Stay tuned for more fun events this week...

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delish Sarah! I'm a HUGE fan of peanut butter! First time I've been to your blog too. I think your design is super cute. I'll have to come here more often :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee! I love your blog too! I definitely plan to try your garlic pizza I saw on yours! You will probably see it reposted here with a few alterations. Nick is not a big fan of tomatoes and yes I think he is crazy for it! I could eat tomatoes all day everyday!

      Delete