Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Strawberry Lemonade Scones

I usually try not to complain about things I cannot control but this seems like one of those weeks that makes me say "Darn You!! (shakes fist). I hope this doesn't come off like those silly teens that complained about not getting a smart phone for Christmas even though they got a car.

Darn You (shakes fist) List
  • Went to the doctor today to get a blood test. Got stuck three times by three different nurses because they can never find a vein on me! Darn You (shakes fist) Small Veins!!
  • On Saturday, a customer called for directions, which I happily provided. She got here and was upset because we didn't have what she was looking for. I politely offered to order it for her but she ran off in a huff. On Monday, she proceeded to complain on our facebook page about my "poor customer service" because I didn't tell her on the phone that we didn't have what she was looking for (though she didn't ask). She continued by stating that I "didn't care" and said "oh well" when I never would and never did. Darn You (shakes fist) Lying, Rude, Mean Customer!!!
...ok. It's not a big list but it was obnoxious enough to make me want to write a list...


Back to happy stuff!!! <------ See, PINK = Happy color!

I woke up Hubby the other day to the sweet smell of Strawberry Lemonade Scones. I heart scones... They are like Pop-Tarts for grown ups! Not that it stops me from wanting Pop-Tarts every blue moon. A blue moon happens every week or so right? I made it with a Microwave Lemon Curd recipe I found online because I don't have a double boiler. You can use store-bought or a more traditional recipe if you want.


Strawberry Lemonade Scones

for scones
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1
/2 cup unsalted butter (chilled, not softened), cut into cubes
1 1/2 cups diced fresh strawberries
1 generous tablespoon lemon zest
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup heavy cream
Topping:
sugar
Cream
Prepared lemon curd (see below)
for lemon curd
1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1 cup fresh lemon juice
3 lemons, zested
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender, cut in butter cubes until mixture has coarse crumbs. Gently add strawberries and the lemon zest. Make a well in the center of the mixture and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs and cream. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Gently stir until moistened.

3. Place dough onto a well floured surface. Gently knead the dough by folding and pressing it about 7 times, turning the dough a quarter turn after each fold. Move dough to a lightly floured parchment-lined baking sheet (or stoneware baking sheet without parchment). Pat dough into a ¾ inch-thick circle. Cut circle into wedges and separate each slightly.

4. Brush wedges with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake 16-20 minutes until golden brown.

5. While the scones are baking...
For the Lemon Curd: In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon.

6. Drizzle scones with lemon curd and top with sugar. Store extra lemon curd for up to three weeks in the refrigerator.

...stay tuned for what I do with the extra lemon curd...

1 comment:

  1. Oh, they look delicious! What a great thing to wake up to:) I'm so glad they worked out for you, and thanks for the link~love!

    ReplyDelete