Monday, April 16, 2012

Buffalo Chicken Soup

You may be asking yourself what I did with my extra watermelon from my Salsa Verde Burgers with Fontina, Watermelon, and Basil and the Watermelon Feta Salad? What else have I been doing with extra fruit other than making fruit pops!
Watermelon Kiwi Pops that is! I HEART YOU!!

I'm not going to go over this recipe because it is exactly the same as all the other Fruit Pops I have been making (give or take some sugar). I'll give you more ideas for fun fruit pops when I have something more interesting to share beyond not being wasteful with extra fruit.

A while back, Happy Hubby picked out a Jim Beam Hot Wing Sauce because we loved the Jack Daniels BBQ Sauce so much. We figured the alcohol based brands might know what they are doing when it comes to Man-Foods. I used the Jim Beam Hot Wing Sauce in my Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese. We really like it because it is not a traditional Buffalo Wing-type sauce. It is less vinegary and more flavorful. Anything buffalo wing related is going to be good but this sauce is especially good for people that do not necessarily like the traditional hot wing sauce taste (Mom, I am talking to you).

I have had this Buffalo Chicken Soup on my mind since Jessica suggested it for Super Bowl and both Happy Hubby and I really loved it. I adjusted it to some of her suggestions (added cream) and added egg noodles because I like a soup that is full of lotsa stuff in every spoonful. Did I mention it is super quick and easy? It only takes 30-45 minutes!


I would have loved to have added Gorgonzola Cheese and Cilantro on top but I didn't have any...sad face...


Buffalo Chicken Soup
adapted from How Sweet It Is

 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8-10 oz), cooked and shredded (I usually steam them in my rice cooker, or use leftovers)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 sweet onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon flour
32 ounces low-sodium chicken stock
1/3-1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
1/3 cup freshly grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup heavy cream
Half a bag of Egg Noodles
sliced green onions, crumbled Gorgonzola and cilantro for topping

1. Heat a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil. Add onions with a sprinkle of salt to the pot, stirring to coat, then cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Add in garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes more.

2. Sprinkle in flour and stir for another 1-2 minutes.

3. Add in stock, buffalo sauce, cream, chicken, and grated cheeses; stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, add noodles, then reduce and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring every so often.

4. Serve soup and top with cilantro, green onions, and Gorgonzola. 

No comments:

Post a Comment